Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Sky Became...Pink!

And then guess what happened. Well, what do you think?

Seussical is rather infectious. It just is. And it's put me in a rather weird mood right now, so I'm going to put on my Seussical cap and go bonkers for a few minutes.

The only time I ever tried to write like Seuss was at Cedarbrook when Annabeth and I took control of the groups in our cabin and wrote a couple stanzas about a baker. That's pretty much all I remember, but I think the baker's name started with a 'b,' there was a massive problem with his bakery, and the camp director stood there and listened to us read the poem out loud and never got the Look on her face. The Look is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Wally's Look is not a pleasant thing to get caught under.

I've loved Seuss for ages...

One of my lunch groups says, "Who'd want to go see Seussical? It's about Seuss! It's a children's story!" He does happen to be the most immature of the lot of us. I quoted CS Lewis in response to him, "If a story cannot be enjoyed by adults, it should not be read by children." Anyway, I hate it when people see Seuss as only silly.

Yes, he is hysterical and funny and gifted and talented, but there's so much more behind him, and that's why I think Seussical the Musical is so amazing because it captures the whole wonderment and ideas behind To Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street. Or whatever the title of that book was; I can never really remember. I think it's fascinating that Seuss weaves so much romanticism and joy into the words of just a few childrens' rhymes.

While I can't recite it from memory, my favorite tonguetwister remains the one about the creatures in the puddles with paddles in a bottle filled with water who were having a war and whatever and whenever and blahblahblah -insert the stuff that makes Seuss a genius-.

Seuss also has the second most epic pen-name from among the books I've read. Lemony Snicket gets the first spot, followed by Seuss and then Twain. If there's anyone else, then I don't know it's a pen name. =P

Anyway, I've got to go for while, so... <3 Seuss!

1 comment:

  1. THE SHOP THAT MADE CAKES WAS OWNED BY BLAKE.

    HE MADE CAKES OF ALL SIZES AND SHAPES
    LIKE SNEECHES ON BEECHES, PINEAPPLES, AND GRAPES

    (something about Blake having a furry green coat)

    ONE DAY HE WAS VISITED BY A CREATURE NAMED GAIL
    THIS CREATURE NAMED GAIL HAD A VERY LONG TAIL

    (How do I still remember this?)

    Then something happened and Blake was bringing out the cake and and he tripped on Gail's tail and he spilled the cake on his green fuzzy coat...

    That was the best week of camp EVER.

    "Oh the thinks you can think, think and wonder and dream, far and wide as you dare..."

    ReplyDelete