Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Think It's About Homeschooling...

Not sure though... I ramble a lot...

It's been weird, in school, I haven't encountered nearly the same amount of "homeschool questions" that I thought was going to. There's been a ton, but usually rather random ones and not the full out interview that starts with "how long" going to "what time you wake up" to "pajamas" to whatever interests the questioner.

Anyway, in social studies we were filling out the study guide for our the Cold War European map quiz that we're having on Friday. Seriously, I could have taken this test weeks ago and aced it. Iceland, Ireland, Great Britain, Portugal, Spain, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, West Germany, Italy, East Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Albany, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Soviet Union. My class was complaining about having to do all of Europe.

Jada, the girl in front of me, asked why I was so good at geography. You know, I really, really, really hate it when people ask me to explain something about myself. It's like... an impossibility. I just answered that one of my older brothers was a whiz at geography and that I picked it up from him. She then asked if I had already studied the material that we were working through. I said kinda.

This sparked the first bout of real homeschool questions I had had in a long while. Amy, who sits next to me, asked how long each day I normally worked, what time I woke up, what a day consisted off, etc. etc. etc. Lauren, who sits in front of Amy, asked me if I would spend a day on each subject instead of doing a little each day. That was actually an original question, but then Lauren is, um, slightly, um, different from the normal populace. She's a special person in her own way.

And then during science today, I was taking with Katie, who was a homeschooler for first and second grade. She stopped homeschooling when she moved to New York, but it was weird taking to someone - who I actually get along with - who did homeschool for the first couple years. She really didn't like it, but it was an enjoyable discussion. Katie actually shares my views on vaccinations, it's incredible. The two of us are completely different but we have a ton of common view points.

It just seems to me that a lot of people who go to school have a very warped vision of homeschooling. Many homeschooling conversations usually end up along the "are you a hermit?" direction of thoughts. There's a Doctor Who quote that always, always, always makes me think of homeschooling:

"Where have you been?"
"Bit of a hermit."
"A-a hermit... with, uh; friends?"
"Hermits United. We meet up every 10 years, swap stories about caves. It's good fun. For a hermit."
~ Doctor Who, Season 3, Utopia, Professor Yana and the Doctor

1 comment:

  1. XD I'm slowly learning that the Doctor is just plain a genius =P

    Well... I started going to school this year... and I haven't gotten ANY questions about homeschooling. Zero. Just people being really shocked that this is my first time in a (semi)public school.

    There's probably a reason for that though. XP

    ReplyDelete