Thursday, March 24, 2011

Poem Advice

I seem to be writing a great deal of poems lately... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Anyway, this is one I was working on tonight and I'm not sure where to head with it. Should I go into more detail about the routine I'm stuck in to develop the story more? Should I completely stop writing it because it's awful? Should I just grumble about how stiffling routines are? I'm not sure, so I would be interested in our opinion as to which direction I should take this poem and any advice you might have as to making the poem better. The poem... is very unfinished, because I'm stuck...


locked
in
routine
Each morning, without fail, the little alarm goes beep.
Each morning, without fail, I rise, I shower, I go.
The school bus is always just two minutes late,
relatively speaking, of course. I barely open my eyes,
until homeroom starts, and then, it's only to engage
in some pointless, repetitious conversation.
Because everything is the same, when you're
locked
in
routine

it's
always
the
same
A different language, before eight am. It's stiffling,
constricting, confining. On and on could I go.
After Chinese, to social studies, to gym, to science,
lunch, to English, to design, to math and then to home.
The days blend together and sometimes I'm not
sure what I learned one day and what I learned
the next. I'll want to do math when I'm stuck in English,
and in science my muse will want to create. We study
what when they tell us what. Because in the schools,
it's
always
the
same

stuck
here
The world's closing in around me, because what can I say?
People ask me “What's new?” and I don't have an answer.
The routine is stiffling me, locking me down. I can't write
on command, can't create or design. My hobbies feel
worthless when I'm not allowed, to jot down a poem,
a story, a song. Because I'm stuck in math.
Forty-three minutes of one specific thing, when my mind
wanders and jumps from this thing to that thing.
I hate it here, in this routine. But I'm
stuck
here

1 comment:

  1. Gosh... <.< This sounds sooo familiar.

    The only thing I see wrong with it is that stifling is spelled wrong twice =P

    ReplyDelete