Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cue Evil Scientist

I made a gingerbread man in my engineering class today.

Basically, how that class works is Mr. H gives us an assignment and we all get started on said assignment. I finish assignment three days ahead of schedule. I then hand in the assignment on time while Mr. H pushes the due date back a day, usually due to extenuating circumstances. Some of that is exaggeration, but that's how it feels like that class goes.

I had a glorified study hall today, so I decided I'd make something in Inventor, the software with which we've been working. I started trying to make a car, but that wasn't really successful... And so I drew a circle. And then I drew a vertical line through the center of the circle. And then I put a rectangle below the circle. And that's pretty much how I started the gingerbread man.

It took me a little while to get the legs and arms right because I dimensioned them from the center line and then had to go back and dimension them from the original rectangle and circle because I needed to delete that original center line. Anyway, it took me a little while to get the feet to like right; the arms still don't because I cut to much off of the hand, so it's not circular enough.

Once I got the basic outline for the feet, hands and body out, I went and put in a neck and filleted all the abrupt corners, like the arm pits and the hip joints, so now those are all nice and curvy. Meanwhile, I was helping N and R try and get their work done because they had missed a few days, but still. I cackled quite a bit over my little gingerbread name. He doesn't have a name, I'm not going to name him until I finish him.

He's currently three-dimensional, but all his three-dimensional corners are 90degree angles, so I need to fillet those, add buttons (and fillet buttons), add eyes, nose, mouth, etc. You know, this whole engineering class thinks I'm insane. It's great fun.

MWUAHAHAHAHA.

You can't catch me! I'm the gingerbread man!

1 comment: