Monday, March 7, 2011

Quoting 2.0

Before I start, I just want the world to know that I should never, ever, be allowed to be in charge of dinner. I can't even watch a roast for forty-five minutes without forgetting it and letting it sit in the oven for two and an half hours. Nor should you rely on me for a judgment of how large a car is. Anyway:

More quotes, no particular order, just ones I enjoy.

1.
“Mama, why did Augusta Maine Concord Massachusetts?”
I don't know the name of the kid who asked it, but seriously, say it aloud. I mean, Massachusetts comes right after Maine in the alphabetical lists and when you're listing all the capitals...

2.
“It hung in the air the way bricks don't.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Isn't Adams just amazing? This is one of my favorite quotes of his. It's just so... random...

3.
To boldly split infinitives that no man has split before.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4.
“My sisters were soon busy with their sewing and their embroidering, their spinning and their gossiping, though what they found to talk about so endlessly when they went nowhere and saw no one was beyond my comprehension.”
Barbara Cohen, Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
I love the entire book, but that's probably my favorite quote. It's just so... epic. And it puts spins on common things in that time period of literature that's just great. And I see myself in Buran, a lot.

5.
“My father's vizier had to speak to me three times to get my attention. At least, so he told me, with some asperity. Since I did not hear him the first two times, I would not otherwise have known.”
Barbara Cohen, Seven Daughters and Seven Sons
Again, revel in the epicness.

6.
Take “The sun sets in the west (just about everyone knows that), but Sunset Towers faced east. Strange!” and continue to quote the rest of the book until, “'Hi there, Alice,' T.R. Wexler said. 'Ready for a game of chess?'”
Ellen Raskin, The Westing Game
This most epic. The most awesome. Simply the best little mystery book that will ever be written. Read it. Because it is amazingly epic. I've read it about sixteen times and every time I reread it, I learn something new. Turtle is simply one of the greatest characters in fiction, as is Sandy. And, great book.

I really should not be allowed near food. I ruin it.

7.
“If you only think outside the box, you're limited yourself to 3D.”
My Dad.
I know I've shared this before, but I still love it.

8.
“Think globally, act locoly.”
My Dad.
Look closely.

9.
89% of all statistics are made up on the spot!”
Somebody...

The next one, well... I don't think any Biden lovers (do those people exist? >.>) are reading this, so I have no qualms...

10.
...a three letter word. Jobs! J-O-B-S! Jobs!”
Joe Biden.
As a friend of mine is so apt to say, Σημείο και γέλιου, which basically means, point and laugh.

11.
Touch down Philadelphia!”
Of course... this was in a Superbowl game, played by Arizona and Pittsburgh.

12.
I've now been in fifty... seven states. I think one left to go.”
Barack Obama.
All 57 states simply love you now, Obama. We simply do. /end sarcasm.

13.
So Long, Farewell and Thanks for all the Fish.
Douglas Adams.

1 comment: