Sunday, June 26, 2011

Legality

This topic is like... a sixteen pound burger than I've got no hope of wrapping my jaws around. So I'm just going to very abruptly state my distaste with New York State legalizing "same-sex" marriage this past weekend. Tell me, how is same-sex not as derogatory a gay or homosexual? How does same-sex make is sound so much better? How did this even become legal?!

I don't get it. I just don't.

I've got this history text book; it's for AP American History, which I'm taking next year. We've got this huge summer assignment, but what I'd like to point out, that in the back of the book are the Declaration of Independence and the U.S.A Constitution. And I wonder what our founding fathers would say. What funny anecdote would Benjamin Franklin come up for this situation we're in? But I get it. I realize the world has changed and we can't look back to those who fought to be the foundation to help us complete the third floor. No; we're the builders of the third floor in this nation. And... I don't know. How much longer is this great house going to stand? But yeah... I was making a point with the history textbook... That chronicles everything - okay, no, it doesn't - it covers much of what happened in our nation in the years since The New World was first discovered. And... I forgot what point I was going to make. So. I'm going to go on a different track now...

I got into some problems because of my views on homosexuality at school. One day, there were little cards people were signing, pledging to not look down on those people who are homosexual. I refused to sign. One of the girls manning the table was in my English class, and she got very, very upset with me. So upset, she refused to talk to me for half a year. I wasn't able to explain that I try my hardest not to judge people in the first place. I wasn't able to explain that one of my uncles is homosexual and it's not like I try and hide that. I wasn't able to get to see where I was coming from, because she was stuck in her viewpoint that I was being judgmental. We've since started talking a bit more, even getting along rather nicely, but the homosexual topic has been avoided at all cost.

And now... it's legal. Legal. Legallegallegallegallegallegallegallegallegallegallegal. But still wrong! I just don't get it... The vote was 33-29. 29 Democrats and 4 Republicans voted for the passing of the bill. 33-29. It wasn't a landslide victory, thankfully, but still. It passed. The bill is called "The Marriage Equality Act." It's so... frustrating. Marriage Equality. Marriage Equality! Frustrating. And I'm not even going to start ranting about divorce.

I just don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment